Goodness has always been an area of interest of scientists. They have always wondered why people do good to others. They have always wondered why even some animals do good to others. This has always puzzled scientists.
Darwin himself came up with theories of evolution of goodness. Other biologists too tried to explain it. They came up with the theory rb > c. This simply means how related one is to another and how one can benefit from the other needs to be more than the costs in order for one to do good. However, this theory does not seem to fit with the idea of reciprocity.
Reciprocity is the idea in which one does good with the expectation that good will be done unto himself too. It basically means "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours". This idea does not fit with the "math thing" above as in this case, good is done with the benefit and relativity less than the cost.
In my opinion, goodness cannot be explained purely scientifically. Some people argue that goodness is a human thing. However, how would they be able to explain goodness among animals. I believe that goodness has some religious or spiritual connections. I believe we do good as we are good. We are not expecting something. I have seen people who do good just in the name of goodness. They do not expect any thing back.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment